Who are they?
IPSE (www.ipse.co.uk) is the Association of Independent Professional and the self-employed. They formed in May 1999 to provide independent contractors and consultants with a representative voice in opposition to the original IR35 proposals. Since then, they have evolved from being a single-issue campaign group to a fully fledged, not-for-profit professional body, and into the largest association of independent professionals in the EU.
They now represent 68,000 freelancers, contractors and consultants from every sector of the economy and it is their ambition to become the voice for the 4.6million self-employed people across the UK.
Why should you join them?
There are many benefits to joining IPSE, the the most relevant to contractors are:
IPSE Standard members can make the most of:
- Free tax and legal helplines
- Specialists to defend you in a tax investigation at no cost
- Debt recovery – special member rate
On top of this IPSE Plus members receive business interruption support including:
- £5,000 life assurance cover at no charge
- Up to £1,000 if an agency breaks contract
- Up to £10,000 compensation for failed payments
- Up to £2,000 if you are ill/injured for 3 weeks or more
- Up to £500 per day compensation for tax compliance meetings
- Up to £500 per day compensation for jury service for up to two weeks
These are invaluable benefits for a relatively low price that is fully tax deductible as a business expenses. If you’ve ever worried about being investigated, this provides valuable assurance that at least you will have somebody to fight your corner.
So why wait?